A Foundation of Integrity
Our founder, B.G. Danis, believed his company's success came from the hardworking, creative individuals within it who created trustworthy relationships with clients. This philosophy has guided us for over 100 years, and it will continue to guide us as we look forward to the future.
Graduating from Cornell with a Civil Engineering degree in 1909, B.G. Danis would go on to run his own company just seven years later. Being home to the brightest engineering minds and inventors of the time, Danis was an integral part in the growth of Dayton as an industry giant.
Danis in North Carolina
On February 14, 1929, Ray Rouse founded the RN Rouse Construction Company with just 10 employees and the notion that the company would be built on a reputation for quality. Over the next 80 years, Rouse projects grew from warehouses, garages, and small churches to larger projects for Camp Lejeune, Wayne Memorial, Ocean Creek Resort, SAS, and NC State. Danis acquired the RN Rouse Company in 2009.
Univis Lens Company Plant
Located in the McCook Field District, the plant construction required 130 tons of steel that was ordered from the Oregonia Bridge Company. Univis employed 800 workers, men and women, and produced a variety of lenses for both military and civilian use. The plant was the site of the historic 1948 United Electrical Workers’ union strike over contract negotiations. Supported by the UE union members from Frigidaire and Delco, the strike lasted for three months and ended with 1,200 armed National Guardsmen patrolling the streets to break up the strikers.
University of Dayton Fieldhouse
The Fieldhouse served as the UD Flyers men’s basketball teams’ home court from 1950 to 1969. The original building was 175x170 ft., five stories tall, and had an estimated cost of $600,000. The main arena had a seating capacity of 2,700. In 1991, the Fieldhouse was renovated and rededicated as Frericks Center in memory of longtime Athletic Director, Tom Frericks. The Fieldhouse, now known as the Frericks Center, is still in use today and is home to the Flyer volleyball team.
In the 1930s, Temple Israel moved from a downtown Dayton location to the site of their community center, located at Emerson and Salem. Despite setbacks due to economic conditions and the scarcity of materials, construction for the new sanctuary began in 1951. The building was unique among religious buildings of the time as it had no windows, was air-conditioned, and used specialized lighting systems.
In October 1968, the Miami Conservancy traded 4.5 acres of land next to UD’s Welcome Stadium for a similar piece of land owned by UD along the Miami River. The same month, UD announced plans to build an arena. The new arena, planned to open for the 1969 – 1970 basketball season, would have 13,450 seats, offer parking for 3,800 cars, and encompass 175,000 square feet.
Danis Industries Corporation
Over 20 Danis family-owned companies were merged in 1971 to form the Danis Industries Corporation. The Building Group, which included B.G. Danis Co. Building Division and Concourse Construction, remained the largest division and was consistently ranked in the Top 400 of America’s contracting firms.
Danis in Florida
In 1985, Mel Fannin founded The Fannin Company in Jacksonville. Over the next 15 years, the company grew to 40 employees. At the time, most of the work acquired was by competitive bidding. Danis acquired Fannin in 2000 and has fostered existing client relationships as well as growing the company presence in the Jacksonville area, working with clients such as the Mayo Clinic, the Ronald McDonald House, Forking Amazing Restaurants, and the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Danis Building Construction Company
Many changes occurred this decade with the exit of the highway sector and healthcare becoming a major area of focus and expertise for the building company. In 1997, Danis reorganized into two companies. Tom Danis became CEO of The Danis Companies, and group of managers and family members led by John Danis acquired Danis Building from The Danis Companies. As it is today, John Danis is Chairman and CEO of Danis Building Construction Company.
Springfield Regional Medical Center
This facility was a replacement facility for two community hospitals that merged operations. At the time, this was the largest project to date for Danis with a project cost of over $144M. The hospital was developed on a brownfield site as part of an urban redevelopment for the city. As such, part of the project incorporated the relocation of city streets and coordination with public agencies and utilities.
More to the Story
Each successful project, lasting relationship, and best-in-class teammate through the last century makes up who we are. For a more detailed look at our history, visit our centennial site.See Our Story
Looking to the Future
When the Danis journey began in 1916, Dayton had more patents per capita than any other United States’ city in the 1900s. That innovative and pioneering spirit is woven into our company culture. From a patent for molding concrete in 1928 to our current Onsite Industrialized Construction Center, Danis evolves to exceed client expectations.